About Sumo Digital, Sheffield
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021 and 2022, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 20 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The Role @ Sumo Sheffield:
We've got an exciting opportunity for a Senior Systems and Economy Designer to join our own new IP!
In this role, you will be responsible for design, modelling, implementation, and tuning of complex game systems for live titles. Creating interdependent progression and monetization systems and understanding of the gameplay and economic impacts of these systems will be key.
Note: This role can be hybrid/remote within the UK. There may be some travel required for Team meetings.
Within this role, you will:
- Design and model flexible and modular game progression systems, both from a gameplay and monetisation perspective.
- Work with the game design team to align the game design pillars with high-quality progression systems.
- Design and create tooling as necessary to model mutually dependent and interconnected game, progression, and monetisation systems.
- Create engaging in-game content and events, considering all stages of the product’s life cycle.
- Recommend monetisation strategies, activities, and reward features both improve our player experiences and the business objectives of the game.
- Collaborate with Product Management to define specifications for content tooling.
- Conduct analysis of competitor features, progression systems and economies; deconstructing these for insights.
- Generate comprehensive design documentation, including diagrams and analyses for all systems and monetisation features.
- Engage closely with Product Management and Data Science to validate and refine feature designs.
- Be responsible for defining and communicating the game’s economy and progression vision to stakeholders.
To be successful, you will need:
- At least 2 live titles as a Systems or Economy Designer.
- A completed degree (BS/MS) in Mathematics/Economics/Game Design or equivalent experience.
- Experience working on a MMO/F2P/GaaS title.
- Keen knowledge of game systems and economies across genres.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong statistical and business modelling skills.
- Ability to create models and tools to build, simulate, and analyse player behavior/progression/economy.
- Ability to model problems in quantitative systems and draw conclusions.
- Expert-level ability in Microsoft Excel. SQL Experience highly desirable.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment. We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.