Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Art at Timbre Games
We are visionaries, sculptors, painters and landscapers of virtual worlds. Together, we breathe life into creative concepts and ideas while defining experiences and quality. We collaborate with multiple departments to establish our vision, and absolutely light up as we watch it all come together. We are utilizing advanced tools and technologies to shape our vision of building diverse and accessible AAA games.
The Senior Materials Artist at Timbre will play a critical role in developing the stylized, detailed look of Timbre’s games. As our first Material Artist hire, you will be instrumental in establishing the pipelines, workflows and relationships with the art team that will establish Timbre’s visual style. You believe the best ideas don’t belong to one person, and that a team that works together is more powerful than any one person’s idea alone. This people-first, collaborative and agile approach to development and mentorship will support driving the team forward and help artists on the team grow, regardless of their level of experience. You’ll take ownership of our most complex and dynamic materials to deliver a magical, accessible, family-friendly ARPG game.
As a Senior Materials Artist at Timbre, you will:
- Work cross-functionally with the Character, Environment and VFX teams, to create and implement a range of dynamic, high-production quality stylized materials in Unreal Engine 5
- Define the material visual style for the project, working closely with the Environment and Lighting team, identifying what is needed and building a library to achieve quality looks
- Collaborate with the Art and Design teams to understand the artistic vision and technical requirements of the project
- Optimize materials and textures for performance and memory constraints without compromising visual fidelity
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, tools, and techniques related to material creation, and provide input on improving workflows and pipelines
What you bring:
- Experience developing and implementing the Material style through Production of a project, preferably in video games
- Strong portfolio showcasing your proficiency in creating high-quality dynamic materials and textures for games
- Solid understanding of material creation workflows and industry-standard software such as Substance Designer & Substance Painter
- Proficient in creating and optimizing materials in Unreal Engine
- Knowledge of PBR (Physically Based Rendering), procedural workflows, sculpting and modelling principles, applying those skills practically in creating realistic and stylized materials
- A collaborative and open approach to communication: you are experienced in delivering clear, concise and solution-focused messages, that are easily understood by a cross-discipline team
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off, plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• Yearly access to a game subscription of your choice, renewed on your work anniversary each year!
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page
, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn
to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!