Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Engineering at Timbre Games
An Engineer at Timbre games will focus on creative, innovative and technically sound work. Our engineering team is fully integrated with all areas of game development and collaborates both technically and creatively. Our studio focuses on Unreal Engine 5, pushing everything we do towards technical excellence. We are lifelong learners, leaning on both internal expertise and external inspiration to continue our path of growth and development. We have a keen eye for best practices and elegant code, and ensure knowledge sharing, and mentoring are a priority.
As a Lead Software Engineer, you enable the AI team at Timbre to utilize their technical expertise and curiosity to design and implement delightful and challenging encounters. The interactions your team will create will bring our players deeper into our worlds and contribute to beautiful player experiences.
You will also play a key role in building and growing our engineering team. Your mentorship and collaborative approach to guiding engineers will create an environment where talent can flourish, innovation can thrive, and the team can collectively achieve our goals. Join us on this exciting journey as we push the boundaries of gaming together and forge a close-knit team that fosters creativity and passion.
As a Lead Software Engineer - AI at Timbre, you will:
- Lead the development and implementation of immersive, delightful, and challenging AI encounters for our players
- Architect and own the roadmap for AI systems and behaviours, working closely with the engineering team, design, art, and production to prioritize core AI gameplay features and execute deliverables on time
- Write beautiful C++ code that is clean, clear, performant and aligns with coding best practices
- Collaborate closely with the development team, artists, and designers to create and deploy AI systems and behaviours, and optimize workflows that elevate the working lives of our team
- Ensure that AI systems are performant and maintainable
- Collaborate with team members of various disciplines to review proposed features and develop those features from prototyping to production
- Review, provide feedback, and help guide the creation of engaging AI behaviors for our games
- Mentor and inspire other engineers, fostering a culture of continuous learning and professional growth within the engineering team
What you bring:
- An understanding and curiosity towards Game AI, evolving systems for multiplayer games, working with Behaviour Trees, Blackboards and Custom Tasks to develop a range of behaviours.
- Previous experience in a leadership or mentorship role is highly desirable. Your proven leadership capabilities and ability to mentor others will be instrumental in cultivating a positive and empowering work environment.
- Creator of Clarity: You possess a remarkable ability to analyze and prioritize multiple approaches to complex technical problems and work with the team to align on the best path forward.
- Visionary Explorer: You constantly seek opportunities to explore and push the boundaries of what's possible in game AI, learning about trends in like Mass Entity and others.
- Diversity Champion: You foster an inclusive work environment within the team, appreciating diverse perspectives and encouraging creative collaboration that benefits from a wide range of ideas and experiences.
- Pursuer of Fun: You understand the importance of making the game creation process enjoyable and engaging. As a lead, you work with your team, helping them find joy and excitement in the AI and systems you develop together, ultimately contributing to the overall creativity and passion of the development process.
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off, plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• Yearly access to a game subscription of your choice, renewed on your work anniversary each year!
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page
, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn
to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!