With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The Role @ Sumo
We are looking for a Lead Level Designer to help us develop an AAA open-world action game. You will take the components made by other teams and guide your team of Level Designers to create a compelling player experience.
This is a fantastic opportunity for those who enjoy shaping a creative vision while nurturing the development of talented Level Designers. As a Lead Level Designer, you are responsible for realising the design vision through engaging world maps, while maintaining your team’s morale and getting the best out of each Designer.
You will actively participate in the creation and the development of the Game Vision, working closely with the Design Director and the Art Director. Your role has a major emphasis on people management, creativity, communication, problem solving, and mitigation.
You will be the advocate for the player.
What Will You Do?
· Guide the creative vision for the world maps and review moment-to-moment gameplay.
· Work closely with other design leads to create cohesion between the game’s mechanics, narrative, and tools.
· Regularly update directors and stakeholders, collating feedback into tasks for your team.
· Be the players’ advocate: Understand their needs and ensure that the world maps created by your team contribute to an engaging player experience.
· Establish best practices for the level-design team.
· Recognise the individual abilities of each member of your team, mentoring them through regular catchups and formal appraisals.
· Work with the recruitment team to grow Sumo’s team of talented Level Designers.
· Create a positive inclusive work environment that will grow team motivation and performance.
What Do You Need?
· 5+ years' minimum experience in Level Design or relevant role.
· Significant involvement in the level design of multiple game titles, with preferably a full cycle on a AAA title (or equivalent) at senior level or higher.
· A proven ability to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical, in a succinct manner.
· Prior experience in leading/managing/mentoring a team will be advantageous.
· An ability to collaborate with different disciplines and audiences.
· An appreciation for existing games and an awareness of modern gaming trends; particularly in the open-world genre.
· Bonus points if you have experience with action, sandbox, open-world, or multiplayer games.
· A drive to inspire and cultivate talent.
· A forward-thinking attitude towards inclusivity and mental health.
· Knowledge of UE4/UE5.
What We Offer:
· Annual Bonus & Annual Salary Reviews
· Electric Car Scheme
· Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme
· Flexible Working
· 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday a duvet day and Christmas
· Holiday ‘buy and sell’ scheme
· 5 Paid Learning Days, including 1 volunteer day per year
· Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses, The Gnomen Workshop, GDC Vault and more
· Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
· Free Life Assurance - 4x Salary
· Free Income Protection Scheme -up to 75%
· Free Dental Insurance
· Supportive Employee Assistance Programme with confidential 24/7/365 helpline & app
· Access remote GP, Mental Health, Physio appointments & medical second opinions
· Additional flexible benefits scheme
· Cycle to Work Scheme
· Mental Health First Aiders
· Payroll Giving Scheme
· Game & Book Libraries
· Long service & project completion awards
· Wrap Parties
· Alternative Travel Prize Draw
· The Sumo GameJam
· Great family events
· Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
· Life Drawing
· Yoga Classes
· Free fruit and drinks
· Employee Referral Bonus
· Career Development
· Relocation Support to the UK
· Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.